I am in the midst of one of the best books I have read in quite some time: Gone Girl. Last night I was so entangled in the webs of lies and plot twists, that by 1:00am I had to for myself to put the book down or I would have stayed up all night reading. It is that good!
So, I put the book down, but I was not even the slightest bit tired.
I couldn’t get comfortable. I felt like the sheets were wrapped around me like a cocoon! A million thoughts were running through my head.
“’…Weeeee, are never ever ever getting back together…’ Stupid Taylor Swift.”
“When do Parks and Rec and 30 Rock come back on? I wonder what it would be like to hang out with Amy Poehler and Tina Fey in real life…Most likely, it would be awesome. I bet it would be like a funnier version of Baby Mama plus a lot of nervous laughter interjected by me. Ha!”
“Wow, Weezer and Mike are snoring in unison. That’s weird.”
“Oh my gosh, what was that noise? I think the dang raccoons knocked over the garbage cans.”
“…Weeeee, are never ever ever…. Aaaaahhh! Damn you T Swift!”
About that time, I scooted out of bed past my snoring bedmates and gave up on the whole sleep thing for the time being. I needed to calm my mind. What better to do the job them a microwaved chocolate covered strawberry cookie and a glass of milk?
So, I stood in the dark kitchen and ate a cookie or two or three (there was way too much milk for just one cookie) and I proceeded to write this post silently in my head while pantomiming and using the cookie to point out valid issues to, well, myself.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cookies
Author: Sarcastic Cooking
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: Makes 20 Cookies
- 1 Cup Semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ Cup (about 6 ounces) Dried Strawberries
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 ¼ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- At least two hours or even the night before, prep the chocolate covered strawberries. Melt the cup of semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave in a small heatproof bowl for one minute on high. Then stir until all chips have melted.
- Spread the dried strawberries out on a piece of wax/parchment paper lined baking sheet. Pour the chocolate over each strawberry. It is ok if you get some plain chocolate on the paper, it will all be chopped and added to the cookies later. Then place the sheet with the chocolate covered strawberries in the refrigerator for at least two hours, until the chocolate hardens again.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set off to the side.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugars and butters together on medium speed until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda. Beat for another two minutes on medium.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt, then add them into the batter. Beat until just incorporated. Mix in the chocolate covered strawberries by hand.
- Scoop the cookie dough into heaping tablespoon balls. Place 8 to 12 balls spaced 2 inches apart, on each of the baking sheets.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Let the cookies cool on the pan for five minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.