I have confessed my long battle with breakfast. I love breakfast food. I love eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and pancakes. I love taking the time to make these items… On the weekends. During the week I try to grab something quick, if I don’t choose to sleep in.
A few months ago, I started taking vitamins. I have to take these vitamins every single day. The only thing is, I can’t take them on an empty stomach. Believe me, I tried. “Hmmm… It says do not take on an empty stomach…that cannot be true in all cases, right?” But, alas, it was true.
So now I am all about quick on the go breakfasts, because I have to be. I like granola and I like granola bars. Do I want to have to bake them after coming home from work? Would I rather relax? No and yes.
Enter my savior, the no bake granola bars. Lately I have been babysitting my nephews after work one day a week. These serve as my breakfast and a quick pick me up before I enter the Thunderdome with my two nephews.
I love these so, so much. I think you will too.
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ Cup Plus 1 Tablespoon Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Crisped Rice Cereal
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- ¼ Cup Crushed Banana Chips
- ½ Cup Nutella, optional
- Combine maple syrup, peanut butter, and butter in a small saucepan. Whisk together over medium heat until the mixture melts and is combined.
- Add crisped rice cereal, oats, and crushed banana chips to a medium mixing bowl. Pour melted mixture into the bowl and mix together.
- Add mixture into an 8x8x2 inch or 9x9x2 inch parchment lined baking dish. Use a rubber spatula or spoon to make sure the granola is in one even layer. Place dish in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the bars to harden.
- Remove the block of granola from the dish. Cut into 8-10 bars.
- Add Nutella to a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for thirty seconds, just to loosen the Nutella up a bit. Add Nutella to a small sealable plastic sandwich bag. Snip a small hole in one of the corners of the bag. Pipe the Nutella on to the bars. Let sit another 5 minutes to set up before eating.
- Bars last at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.
Inspired by Joy the Baker’s Granola Bites