Has there ever been a food as polarizing as the pickle? Maybe the olive comes close. Pickles, you either love them or you hate them. I have rarely heard of a person having a middle of the road opinion on pickles. Mike is a pickle hater. I am a pickle lover. This bodes well for me, because as long as Mike asks for pickles on the side, I reap those extra pickles all the time!
I eat a pickle as a snack all the time. Sometimes when I eat the pickle right out of the jar, with the refrigerator door wide open (sorry Dad), I sing the pickle song from the Little Rascals Movie to myself. Yes, I am that big of a nerd. I also do a pretty good Alfalfa impression…
Back to pickles. I wrote an ode to the pickle. I have made my own pickles. I fried pickles. I have Dill Pickle Vodka for Bloody Marys. I just love pickles! Whenever I order a burger or sandwich for Mike, it pains me to have to utter the words, no pickles, please—like, hurts deep down in my soul.
I guess if you are a pickle hater, there is nothing that can ruin a sandwich for you faster, than a single slice of pickle. If a pickle even comes in contact with the bun, you are stuck with pickle flavor even if you take the pickles off. Poor pickle haters. I like to think you are in the minority in the world.
This recipe is for all the pickle lovers out there. It is a way to enjoy the seasonings of pickles without the pickle breath. That is probably the only down side to pickles, garlicky, dilly pickle breath. Anyway, here it is!
- 12 Cups Popped Popcorn (non-buttered or buttered whichever you prefer)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Finely Chopped Dill
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- In a spice grinder or using a mortar and pestle, grind/crush the coriander, mustard, and peppercorns until semi-fine. Mix the ground spices with the salt, garlic powder, and fresh dill.
- Place half the popcorn in a large bowl, season with half the spices and toss together. Add the rest of the popcorn to the bowl and sprinkle remaining seasonings on top. Serve right away.