So, I am a walking talking stereotype. Yes, I am pregnant. 26 weeks to be exact. Yes, I am craving pickles. I should be cast on a sitcom because this is exactly what would happen to the lead female character if she was pregnant. I loved pickles pre-pregnancy, but now that love has been taken to a new level.
I seriously eat a pickle every single day. It’s just a random little snack that I eat right out of the jar with the fridge door wide open. If I still lived with my Dad, he would be so mad.
It was only natural for me to combine my love of pickles and carbs. It happened on a day when I ran out of jarred pickles. A pregnant lady left to her own devices, home all alone, becomes MacGyver when faced with coming up with something to satiate her craving.
“Get me an avocado, ice pick, and a snorkel.”
Name the movie!
But for real, I got my sour batard out of the freezer, the Panini press out of the pantry, a garden-fresh cucumber, vinegar, some dill and of course some cream cheese. Done and done!
Once again, my crazy brain has delivered a quick fix snack or appetizer for all you pickle/cucumber lovers out there.
Now, if only I could figure out a way to have an entire section of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream recreated in my house every night. Hmm… On the next Stef-Gyver!
- ¼ Cup Water
- ¼ Cup White Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Black Peppercorns (optional)
- 3-4 Mustard Seeds (optional)
- ½ Cucumber
- 4-6 Slices Crusty Bread, I used Sourdough
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- ⅓ Cup Cream Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Dill
- Thinly slice cucumber using a mandolin. Slice it on the thinnest setting. You want these paper thin.
- Combine water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns (and mustard seeds if using) in a small microwave-safe bowl. Mix to combine. Add cucumber slices. Make sure they are fully submerged in the liquid.
- Microwave the cucumber slices in liquid for 90 seconds. Set off to the side to cool and continue to pickle.
- Heat a grill pan or Panini press. Lightly coat each slice of bread with olive oil. Press between the Panini press for 3-4 seconds until golden or grill on each side until golden.
- Spread a little bit of cream cheese over each slice of bread.
- Drain the liquid from the cucumbers. Make sure there are no hidden peppercorns or mustard seeds in between each slice.
- Top each slice of bread with 4-5 slices of cucumber and a light sprinkle of fresh dill. Serve right away.