With all the craziness surrounding the tornadoes and storms that happened over the weekend here in Illinois, I think we all need a little bit of comfort. Whether it is the kind words and smile of a stranger or a familiar pair of sweatpants and a night on the couch with the ones we love, we all need to be comforted. I am certainly keeping the people in Illinois who lost everything in my heart and thoughts. I cannot even imagine.
When thinking about what comforts me in times of trouble or after a bad day, I could think of one thing. Pizza. Homemade pizza, pizza that is delivered, thin crust, deep dish, hand-tossed, I like them all. In fact, I have rarely met a pizza that I didn’t like.
When the weather is bad, I feel guilty calling delivery guys to our house. I feel like a five dollar tip does not validate driving through torrential rain. Instead, I reach for a stash of homemade pizza dough I usually keep on hand in the freezer.
The other night while the pizza was baking, the smell of fresh yeasted dough filled the house. I loooove that smell. Apparently, so does Mike because he suggested they make a candle scent inspired by it. I said that I would totally buy that candle but I doubt other normal people would buy a candle scent called yeast. I don’t know. That’s just my opinion.
This weekend, I highly recommend making this crunchy thin crust pizza. While it is baking, put on your favorite pajamas or sweats and get cozy. When the pizza is done baking, eat it while sitting on the couch watching a funny movie. No tear-jerkers! This is a happy pizza.
That is my idea of comfort!
Chicken Enchilada Pizza
Yields: Makes 1, 12-16 Inch Pizza
- [Premade Pizza Dough*|http://www.sarcasticcooking.com/2012/07/22/balsamic-glazed-chicken-and-caramelized-onion-pizza-from-scratch/]
- ½ Cup – 1 Cup [Red Enchilada Sauce|http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/red-enchilada-sauce/]
- 2 Cooked and Shredded Chicken Breasts
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ½ Cups Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- Sliced Jalapeno, Chopped Cilantro, Diced Tomatoes, and Sliced Avocado for Garnish
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Place a pizza pan or baking sheet in the oven while it heats up. This will make for a crispier crust.
- Stretch and press the dough out on a well-floured surface until it is about twelve to fourteen inches.
- Once the oven is heated to 500, carefully remove the pizza pan. Sprinkle a little bit of flour to the pan and then place the pizza dough on the pan.
- Top the pizza dough with a ½ cup of the enchilada sauce. Add about ¾ of the chicken to the pizza along with ¾ the onions and bell peppers. Reserve some additional toppings for on top of the cheese. Cover the pizza with the shredded cheese.
- Toss the remaining chicken with some of the enchilada sauce. Place the chicken and remaining toppings on top of the cheese.
- Bake the pizza for 12-15 minutes until the crust is golden and crisp and the cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza from oven. Top with cilantro and jalapenos. Allow the pizza to cool for at least five minutes before slicing. After slicing, top with tomatoes and avocado if you so desire.
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes