Creamy, always perfect Instant Pot brown butter pumpkin risotto has all the cozy fall flavors you’re looking for in one dish. No need to labor over the stove with this under 10 ingredient recipe. Let the Instant Pot do the work in 20 minutes!
That’s right! From blueberry season right into pumpkin in the next breath. Yesterday was the first really cold and dreary rainy fall-feeling day. It really got me in the mood for cozy fall food. I know I am not the only one that’s ready for a little taste of fall.
Before you guys get bombarded with pumpkin recipes, I had to sneak my pumpkin recipe into the mix.
Instant Pot brown butter pumpkin risotto is a recipe from my new cookbook which comes out at the end of the month: The Big Book of Instant Pot Recipes.
Cooking risotto in the Instant Pot is the easiest method. It is 100% hands off and comes out perfect every time. You don’t have to stand there and ladle hot liquid into the pot over and over again. Under ten ingredients and around 20 minutes is all it takes to make this cozy risotto.
The recipe starts with a little butter bath for onions and garlic. Toast the risotto in the butter, onion, garlic mixture as you normally would when making risotto. Then you add in some warm stock. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. While the risotto does its thing in the Instant Pot, brown the remaining butter on the stovetop. Quick release that pressure. Mix in brown butter, pumpkin, and cheese.
Creamy, not goopy or globby or stiff risotto every single time.
If you like this recipe and want more Instant Pot recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert, be sure to pre-order your copy of my next book now!
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Press Saute on the Instant Pot. Once the display heads hot, add 2 tbsp butter. When the butter melts, add the onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and rice. Stir to coat the rice and evenly toast the rice. Once you can smell the garlic, after about 2 minutes, add the bourbon. Scrape any stuck on bits off the bottom of the pot. Press Cancel.
- In a large measuring cup or heatproof, microwave safe bowl warm the stock in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Add the warm stock to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Seal the lid with the steam vent in the sealed position. Press Pressure Cook until the display light is beneath High Pressure. Use the -/+ buttons to adjust the time until the display reads 5 minutes.
- While the risotto cooks, add the remaining butter to a small skillet/pan over a medium/high heat. The butter will melt. Once it stops crackling, the butter will begin to darken. After about 3-5 minutes little toasted milk solid bits should be floating in the butter. Remove from heat.
- When the timer sounds, quick release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree and half the grated Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning is needed. Mix in the brown butter from the pan.
- Transfer risotto to serving bowls and top with remaining cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.