There are some things that are just inherently summer. Grilling. Kids on the block staying out later and causing a ruckus. Block parties. Corn on the cob. Sprinklers. Big wedges of watermelon.
You get the gist.
This past week I got a hankerin’ (yep, that’s right I said hankerin’) for a big, juice-running-down-your-hand, slice of watermelon. Since, as per usual I was alone in my fruit craving and eating, I had to come up with some new ways to go through half a watermelon.
As always, you reap the benefits of my solo eating and recipe testing. Thank my fruit and vegetable hating husband for this gem.
- 3 Cups Cubed Seedless Watermelon
- 1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Nonfat Greek Blueberry Yogurt
- 2 Teaspoons Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Lime Zest
- 2 Teaspoons Powdered Sugar
- Note: Soak the wooden skewers in water overnight before grilling so the skewers don’t burn.
- Place four or five cubes of watermelon on each skewer.
- Heat the grill to medium/high heat.
- Sprinkle two opposite sides of the watermelon cubes with sugar.
- Place watermelon kebabs on the grill, one of the sugared sides down. Grill for four minutes on each side.
- While the watermelon is grilling, mix together the yogurt, milk, lime zest, and powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl.
- Let the watermelon cool slightly before serving. Dip cubes in the yogurt sauce before enjoying.